The CBC Spouses Education Scholarship is our general scholarship and is also our largest. This scholarship does not have a specific major requirement, and is open to students of all academic fields.
To be eligible for the CBC Spouses Education Scholarship, applicants must:
· Be preparing to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree full-time or be a current full-time student in good academic standing at an accredited college or university
· Have a minimum 2.5 GPA
· Exhibit leadership ability and participate in community service activities
* Preference will be given to CBC member constituents (individuals who live in or attend school in a CBC member district/state). Being a CBC member constituent is NOT a requirement to be eligible for this scholarship.
June 6, 2013
The completed online application must be submitted by close of business (5 p.m. EST) on June 6, 2013. The additional required materials must be received by our office by the close of business (5.pm.m EST) on the deadline date. The following items will be requested through the online application:
1. A completed application form
2. A personal statement essay from the student (500-1,000 words) that addresses all four (4) of the topics listed on the application in one cohesive essay
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation. One recommendation should come from a community or public service leader (i.e. church leader, community leader, volunteer organization). Email addresses will be requested of each recommender for electronic submission of the letter. Hard copy letters will not be accepted.
4. Copy of detailed Federal Student Aid Report (SAR); this report comes from the US Department of Education, not your institution
5. One (1) page resume listing extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service and special skills
6. A recent photograph suitable for publication; i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality and professionally dressed photograph
*PLEASE NOTE: Our online application has two segments. The first is the general application which collects materials relevant for all of our programs. Once you have completed and submitted this portion, you will be brought to a section showing all opportunities for which you may be eligible. This second segment is where you can see and answer opportunity-specific questions for each scholarship/internship/etc., such as personal statements, additional references, artwork samples, essay questions, etc.
Additional Required Materials
All the above documents should be submitted through the online application. The following two documents are to be mailed to the organization. We must receive these documents before the deadline date:
1. Graduating high school seniors must provide proof of enrollment (such as an acceptance letter) into institution of study for 2013.
2. Official sealed transcripts from all institutions attended. Freshmen level students must also submit high school transcripts.
These two documents should be mailed to the following address:
CBC Spouses Education Scholarship
Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc.
1720 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20036
Call (202) 263-2800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information. You can also visit our FAQ page.